TRACEY T. SUTTON, PH.D.
ADDRESS: DEPARTMENT OF MARINE AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
HALMOS COLLEGE OF NATURAL SCIENCES and OCEANOGRAPHY, NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY
86 research cruises, 38 as Chief Scientist, in the Gulf of Mexico, Sargasso Sea, NW Atlantic, SE US Atlantic Coast, mid-North Atlantic (Mid-Atlantic Ridge), SE Atlantic (Canary Islands to South Africa), Pacific (Monterey Bay), and Southern Ocean (Ross, Scotia and Weddell Seas).
I currently lead the Deep Pelagic Nekton Dynamics of the Gulf of Mexico Consortium and the NOAA Gulf of Mexico Offshore Nekton Sampling and Analysis Program.
Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography/Nova Southeastern University
• Ichthyology (OCMB 0999: Sutton): Focuses on the evolution, systematics, and biology of bony, cartilaginous and jawless fishes, both living and extinct. The anatomy of fishes is detailed, followed by a multi-lecture series treating the major lineages of fishes. Lab exercises involve anatomical study and taxonomy of extant fishes. Following systematic lectures key ecological aspects of fishes are examined, including trophic ecology, growth and reproduction, and community structure. These ecological elements are then traced back to the evolution of major lineages. Students will gain experience in field sampling techniques around the Guy Harvey Oceanographic Center in order to acquire fresh material for laboratory exercises.
• Know Your Oceans: Rivers to the Abyss. A synoptic look at aquatic ecosystems, from the distribution of water on Earth to the biology of marine ecosystems. This class will examine ecosystem structure from rivers to estuaries to continental shelves to the deep ocean.distribution of water on Earth to the biology of marine ecosystems. This class will examine ecosystem structure from rivers to estuaries to continental shelves to the deep ocean.
Nova Southeastern University Outreach Programs supported in Sutton Lab
• Oceanic Ecology Lab Internship Program (2016-pres): Undergraduate and graduate students learn oceanographic techniques while helping with DEEPEND consortium research. Program alumnae: Eva Paulus (Barry University; Summer 2016); B. Brule, S. Shore, N. Slayden, A. Slofkis, and D. Tourani (NSU HCNSO).
• University School Science Research Mentorship Program (2015): Multi-week high school internship where exception students receive hands-on training and participate in lab research.
• St. Thomas University Science Internship Program (2014): Semester-long program where STU undergrads receive course credit for participating in laboratory research at the HCNSO Guy Harvey Oceanographic Center.
|2019||GoMRI Synthesis Co-Lead - Core 3 (Ecology)|
|2019||Invited Speaker - EOAS Seminar Series, Florida State University|
|2018||Plenary Speaker - 15th Deep-Sea Biology Symposium, Monterey, CA|
|2018||Invited Session Lead - Marine Mammal Synthesis Symposium, Washington D.C.|
|2017||Invited Speaker - NOAA Office of Exploration and Research "Surface to Seafloor" Workshop, Honolulu, HI|
|2016||Associate Member (Nominated Election), Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society|
|2015||Board of Governors Appointment – Amer. Soc. of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists
Invited Speaker, Vetlesen Distinguished Lecture Series – University of Rhode Island
Invited Speaker, Texas A&M University Graduate Seminar Series
|2015-pres||Director and Principal Investigator – DEEPEND Research Consortium (Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative)|
|2014-pres||Expert Panelist Appointment – United Nations First Ocean Assessment|
|2014-pres||Review Editor appointment – Frontiers in Marine Science|
|2013-pres||Steering Committee appointment – Deep Ocean Stewardship Initiative (DOSI)|
|2013||Invited Keynote Speaker – 2013 Fisheries Society of the British Isles Deep-Sea Fish Symposium, Glasgow, Scotland|
|2013-2015||Co-Principal Investigator (Invited) – Deep-Pelagic Conservation Working Group; Global Ocean Biodiversity Initiative (with Malcolm Clark, NIWA)|
|2010-pres||Principal Investigator (Invited) – Offshore Fish and Nekton Sampling and Analysis Program; NOAA Office of Response and Restoration|